- This event has passed.
Ride Around Torch
July 21 @ 7:00 am - 4:00 pm
The Ride Around Torch is an annual one-day 26, 40, 63, or 100 mile bicycle tour primarily along the scenic shores of Torch Lake, Michigan’s longest and one of its most beautiful inland lakes with unusually clear, bright turquoise hued waters. Several villages and hamlets lie along the lake’s shore including Alden, Eastport, Clam River and Torch River. You will enjoy a recreational, social tour that is neither a race nor a test of strength, although the very hilly 100 mile route can be a challenge.
The 26 mile ride is an out and back around the north end of Elk Lake through Torch River to the food stop at Crystal Beach Park. It features the same hills and flats of the other routes only less.
The 40 mile ride was added in 2016 and proved to be very popular. This route will extend the 26 mile ride from the Crystal Beach Park food stop, by going east, then north through the charming village of Alden, toward Clam River, before looping back to the Crystal Beach food stop. The route will then rejoin the 26 mile route to the post ride picnic in Elk Rapids.
Our signature 63 mile ride circles Torch Lake passing through Eastport, Clam River, Alden and Torch River with hills, flats, scenic views and multiple food stops. A shortcut is available that reduces the ride to just over 50 miles.
The 100 mile ride is a challenging century with the rolling shoreline of Torch Lake, numerous extreme hills and then some. Racing clusters are not recommended.
Digital GPS versions of our routes are available for download/export from the online RideWithGPS service. Printable versions are downloadable in a PDF format.
Maps will also be provided in your pre-registration packet and at registration.
26/40 Mile Routes Online GPS Printable PDF63 Mile Route Online GPS Printable PDF100 Mile Route Online GPS Printable PDF
Before May 21: $35 Individual
On May 21: ride fees increase to $35 Individual
On June 21: ride fees increase to $45
Day of Event: ride fees are $55
Adult non-rider: $15
Child (under 13) non-rider: $12
Men’s short sleeve shirt in snag-resistant, performance knit fabric fabric S through XL – $25; XXL – $27
Women’s v-neck, short sleeve shirt in snag-resistant, performance knit fabric fabric XS through XL – $25; XXL – $27
(pre-ordered with registration by June 20)
Save $$$ by registering early! Tour is limited to 1200 riders!
Online registration opens on February 1 and closes at midnight, Tuesday, July 16. Or you can download a Registration Form, complete it, and mail it to us with a check. Postmark deadline of Saturday, July 7
- Well-marked roads for all routes
- Detailed route maps and cue sheets provided
- Roving SAG support
- Great snacks at food stops
- Scrumptious picnic lunch at the Elk Rapids Village Beach from noon to 4:00 pm featuring all locally sourced hamburgers, hot dogs, bratwursts, black bean veggie burgers, redskin potato salad, homemade creamy cole slaw, asparagus and prosciutto orzo salad, Italian pasta salad, fresh fruit and more!
- Showers at Elk Rapids High School until 4:00 pm.
- Swimming at the Village Beach on East Bay
- NEW: Free camping the night before the ride at Elk Rapids High School
- Pre-ride tech support provided by McLain Cycle of Traverse City
- Helmets must be worn by all riders
- Riders are to obey all traffic rules and laws and to ride in a courteous and safe manner. Michigan law requires cyclists to ride as close to the right as practicable and not more than two abreast
- Children 15 and under must be accompanied by a cycling adult
Packet Pick-up / Day of Event Registration
- Packet pick-up / Day of Event registration is 7:00-10:00 am at the Elk Rapids High School. Save $$$ by registering prior to the tour: see Fees andRegistration.
- Earlier packet pick-up is not available
- Century riders must start by 8:00 am
- 63 milers must start by 9:00 am
- SAG support ends on all routes at 3:00 pm so gauge your ride time accordingly
- Parents or guardians must sign a release for riders aged 17 or under
- Your wristband is your admission to food stops, the picnic and for SAG support
The Elk Rapids High School is located on the east side of Elk Rapids, MI, about 17 miles north of Traverse City on US31. At the traffic light on US31, turn east on Ames Street and follow the signs to the high school. For MapQuest directions from your location, click here.
All routes finish at the Elk Rapids Village Beach at the west end of River Street. Directions back to the high school are on the route maps.
Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Information on hotels, motels and camping may be obtained from the Elk Rapids Chamber of Commerce and the Traverse City Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Cancellation deadline is June 30.
The Ride Around Torch is sponsored by the Cherry Capital Cycling Club
The Cherry Capital Cycling Club is an all volunteer organizationdedicated to the promotion of bicycling in the Grand Traverse area.