- This event has passed.
Smart Commute Week
June 3, 2019 - June 7, 2019
Smart Commute Week is an annual celebration held during the first week of June. The week consists of events that promote cycling, walking, taking the bus and carpooling. Free daily breakfasts are hosted at various locations around town for smart commuters. Every year community members challenge each other to a friendly competition known as the Smart Commute Week Challenge. Registration is FREE!
2019 Smart Commute Week Challenge
Start earning points Monday, June 3 through Thursday, June 6.
- Team Captains Lunch is Wednesday, May 29 from Noon-1pm at the Traverse Area District Library – McGuire Room.
- Team Divisions: Large (50+), Medium (11-49), Small (2-10), Individual (1)
- Team size must remain the same all week (you can’t have 20 people on Monday but 16 on Tuesday).
- You can also get points by parking in a Smart Lot and smart commuting from there.
- Team captains must log daily scores online (link will be sent via email).
- Team captains must log the final score by noon on Thursday, June 6.
- Get you punch cards punched at breakfast and events.
- Tie breakers will be determined by points totaled from punch cards.
- A team member must be present at awards ceremony to claim prizes.
- Don’t forget: Any form of alternative transportation gets you points…and so does showing up to free breakfasts and events!
2019 Incentives, Awards & Prizes
- Be sure to turn in punch cards for a chance to win awesome prizes from local businesses. Trophies will be awarded to challenge teams with the highest scores at the awards ceremony breakfast held at Oryana on Friday, June 7
- 5% off your entire order at Oryana Community Co-op
- Happy hour pricing at Rare Bird Brewpub
- 10% off your meal at Raduno
- $1 off drinks at Higher Grounds Trading Co.
- 20% off purchases at Tee See Tee
- $20 select classes at Painting with a Twist (regular $35!)
- 20% off all food at Georgina’s (excludes beverages)
- 10% off your bill at Bushi (excludes beverages)
- 10% off at Nolan’s Tobacco and Cigar Bar
- $3 pints (Signatures and IPAs) at Right Brain Brewery
- Stop by Morsels for a FREE “morsel power to you” energy bite morsel to all Smart Commuters
- 1 free class for those who walk or bike to Pilates Sestina (good for up to 3 months on your account!)
- 10% off your in-store purchase at M-22
- 20% off your purchase at Ella’s
Share and post your smart commute stories and photos #SmartCommuteTC
2019 Smart Commute Week Breakfast Schedule
All breakfasts are from 7:00 – 9:00 am (The Kitchen is from 6:30 – 9:00 am)
Monday, June 3 — Kick off Breakfast!
⋅ North Peak Brewing Company, 400 W Front St, TC 49684
Friday, June 7 — Awards Ceremony Breakfast!
⋅ Oryana, 260 E Tenth Street, TC 49684
This is the final Smart Commute Week Breakfast with the Smart Commute Challenge awards ceremony.
2019 Smart Commute Week Events
Wednesday, May 29
Event: Team Captains’ Lunch
Location: Traverse Area District Library, 610 Woodmere Ave, TC 49686 (McGuire Room)
Be sure to mark this one on your calendar. Meet and greet with other team captains and get all the materials that you’ll need to lead your team to victory. Lunch is on TART Trails!
Saturday, June 1
Event: Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap
Location: Old Town Parking Garage, 125 E. Eighth St., TC 49686
Sell or buy any fun and funky or plain and practical used bikes at the 9th annual Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap. This much anticipated event kicks off Smart Commute Week every year and is the perfect time to become the new owner of a summer cruiser or upgrade your kids’ bikes!
Sunday, June 2
Event: Cherry Capital Cycling Club Annual Spring Picnic
Location: Vasa Pathway, Bartlett Rd Trailhead
There will be group road and mountain bike rides beginning at 9:30 am and picnic at noon. The club will provide a fabulous picnic lunch and vendors are welcome! Let’s celebrate the kick-off of Smart Commute Week and make this a truly exciting cycling event for our community.
Wednesday, June 5
Event: BATA Try Transit Day: Free BATA Bus Rides
Location: BATA Bus routes
Wednesday, June 5
Event: BATA Bayline Birthday Bash
Location: BATA Hall St Transfer Station, 115 Hall St
Join BATA for a 1-year birthday celebration of the Bayline at the Hall Street Transfer Station, as part of Smart Commute Week. And yes, there will be cake!
Wednesday, June 5
Event: Sara Hardy Farmers Market
Location: Lot B: Downtown Traverse City, across from Clinch Park
Shop and support local and smart commute over to the farmer’s market to earn extra points on your punch card!
Wednesday, June 5
Event: Ticker Recess
Location: The Filling Station, 642 Railroad Pl, TC, 49686
Time: 5:00 – 7:00
After work fun for grown-ups! All Recess events are held 5pm-7pm with a $10 cover charge. Enjoy hors d’oeuvres, beverages and a chance to win incredible prizes.
Thursday, June 6
Event: TART Fiesta at Red Mesa Grill
Location: 1544 US 31, TC 49686
Please join us for an evening celebration at Red Mesa Grill in Traverse City. A fundraiser on the patio, fajita bar, margaritas and live music by Jack Pine. Smart Commute along the TART Trail east to get there!
Friday, June 7
Event: #EighthStreetStrong progressive slow roll
Location: Meet at the Filling Station
Time: 5:30 – 9:00pm
Show your support for 8th St businesses during construction. We’re progressively slow rolling the bike/ped detour to check out our friendly 8th St businesses. Starting at the Filling Station at 5:30, we’ll bike or walk along to make pit stops at participating locations like Oryana, Silver Spruce Brewing, Raduno and the Filling Station.
2019 Smart Commute Week Sponsors
We could not host Smart Commute Week without our amazing sponsors. They provide us the funds, resources and team work we need to keep this program going. For that, we say THANK YOU!
2019 Smart Commute Week Planning Committee
Alison Ernst, TADL
Kim Garlington, Munson
Nicole VanNess, Traverse City Parking
Greg Merica, Traverse City Parking
Ben Miller, Hagerty
Meg Young, Northwestern Michigan College
Eric Lingaur, BATA
Tyler Bevier, BATA
Stephanie Mathewson, Oryana
Elizabeth Calcutt, Networks Northwest
Madison Meter, TART Trails
Kate Lewis, TART Trails
Need some inspiration? Check out this little ditty from M’Lynn Hartwell at Freshwater Events….