Smart Commute Week
June 3 - June 7
Smart Commute Week is an annual celebration held during the first week of June. The week consists of events that promote cycling, walking, taking the bus and carpooling. Free daily breakfasts are hosted at various locations around town for smart commuters. Every year community members challenge each other to a friendly competition known as the Smart Commute Week Challenge. Registration is FREE!
2019 Smart Commute Week Challenge
Start earning points Monday, June 3 through Thursday, June 6.
- Team Captains Lunch is Wednesday, May 29 from Noon-1pm at the Traverse Area District Library – McGuire Room.
- Registration closes Friday, June 1st at 5pm.
- Team Divisions: Large (50+), Medium (11-49), Small (2-10), Individual (1)
- Team size must remain the same all week (you can’t have 20 people on Monday but 16 on Tuesday).
- You can also get points by parking in a Smart Lot and smart commuting from there.
- Team captains must log daily scores online.
- Team captains must log the final score by noon on Thursday, June 6.
- Tie breakers will be determined by points totaled from punch cards.
- A team member must be present at awards ceremony to claim prizes.
- Don’t forget: Any form of alternative transportation gets you points…and so does showing up to free breakfasts and events!
2019 Incentives, Awards & Prizes
Share and post your smart commute stories and photos #SmartCommuteTC
2019 Smart Commute Week Breakfast Schedule
2019 Smart Commute Week Events
Wednesday, May 29
Event: Team Captains’ Lunch
Location: Traverse Area District Library, 610 Woodmere Ave, TC 49686 (McGuire Room)
Saturday, June 1
Event: Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap
Location: Old Town Parking Garage, 125 E. Eighth St., TC 49686
Sell or buy any fun and funky or plain and practical used bikes at the 9th annual Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap. This much anticipated event kicks off Smart Commute Week every year and is the perfect time to become the new owner of a summer cruiser or upgrade your kids’ bikes!
Sunday, June 2
Event: Cherry Capital Cycling Club Annual Spring Picnic
Location: Vasa Pathway, Bartlett Rd Trailhead
There will be group road and mountain bike rides beginning at 9:30 am and picnic at noon. The club will provide a fabulous picnic lunch and vendors are welcome! Let’s celebrate the kick-off of Smart Commute Week and make this a truly exciting cycling event for our community.
More coming soon…
2018 Smart Commute Week Sponsors
We could not host Smart Commute Week without our amazing sponsors. They provide us the funds, resources and team work we need to keep this program going. For that, we say THANK YOU!
2019 Smart Commute Week Planning Committee
Brice Bush, TADL
Amanda Woods, Munson
Nicole VanNess, Downtown Development Authority
Ben Miller, Hagerty
Meg Young, Northwestern Michigan College
Eric Lingaur, BATA
Tyler Bevier, BATA
Stephanie Mathewson, Oryana
Elizabeth Calcutt, Networks Northwest
Jessica Carland, Benzie Bus
Madison Meter, TART Trails
Kate Lewis, TART Trails
Need some inspiration? Check out this little ditty from M’Lynn Hartwell at Freshwater Events….