Winter Trails Guidelines and Etiquette
– Leelanau Trail & Vasa Pathway
All Trail Users:
- Do not ride, ski over or walk on or over classic tracks.
- Do not use trails when conditions are too soft.
- Dogs are NOT permitted on the Vasa 5K, 10K & 25K during the winter. You may take your leashed pooch on the Meadows 3K loop aka “Poop Loop” and the Leelenau Trail.
- Walk on the side of the trail (with no classic tracks).
- The trail is multi-directional. Be aware of oncoming trail users.
- Bikes yield to skiers. Give skate skiers a wide berth when passing.
- Be an ambassador for the sport – be polite, educate others, follow the rules, support grooming, and have fun!
- Do not ride when conditions are too soft. If you are leaving a rut deeper than an inch, having a hard time riding in a straight line, or pushing your bike, the snow is too soft and you should not be biking on the trails.
- Tires must be 3.7″ or bigger.
- Tire Pressure: 4psi or less. Tire should “give” easily when you squeeze them. A pocket-sized electronic gauge is very helpful.
- Temperature: Below 30 degrees. If it is above 30 degrees the trails are not suitable for biking.
- Groups should spread across the skate lane so as not to create a rut by having many cyclists follow the exact same line.