Traverse City Advocate Academy
The Traverse City Advocate Academy is a community-driven program aimed at empowering grassroots leaders throughout Traverse City to be effective advocates for policies and infrastructure that encourages active transportation. The end result will be a coalition of supporters, composed of engaged citizens, that can advance this mission. Highlights of the eight week curriculum include:
- Developing a personal narrative
- Understanding policy and planning tools
- Choosing an issue and setting goals
- Developing a strategy
- Creating tactics
- Communicating through the media and other outlets
- Refining leadership skills
- Working as a team
The program will be conducted in an engaging, hands-on, classroom setting facilitated by representatives from Norte and TART Trails. Recognizing that many of the skills necessary to be an effective advocate exist within members of our community, we will be hosting guest speakers each week to share their expertise. By doing so our participants will be able to learn from the speakers’ past experiences and connect with real efforts occurring throughout the community.
Although presented within the context of safe walking and biking infrastructure, the overall goal of the advocacy academy is to teach people how to be community leaders. These skills are transferable to a wide spectrum of issues, and as such we believe that participants will be equipped to address other needs and changes they identify in order to better the world around them.
Where: BATA Conference Room, Hall St. Transfer Station.
When: Thursday nights x 8 weeks starting January 25th and ending March 15th.
Time: 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Optional but super fun happy hour to follow at rotating locations.
Who: Traverse City residents looking to build their skills, confidence and effectiveness as advocates for change.
Free food?: You betcha! Dinner will be provided.
Cost: FREE! Participants must apply to attend the program and agree to the following criteria:
- Must be a City of Traverse City resident
- Agree to attending a minimum of 7 of 8 weekly sessions
- Applicants need not be overly qualified (you know who you are)
- Please only 1 applicant per household
- By the end of the academy, be prepared to lead an effort for positive change in your neighborhood or community
Have a restaurant that would like to sponsor a weekly dinner? Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and in return you will receive an endless supply of high-fives!