- This event has passed.
Smart Commute Week
June 4 - June 8
Smart Commute Week is an annual celebration held during the first week of June. The week consists of events that promote cycling, walking, taking the bus and carpooling. Free daily breakfasts are hosted at various locations around town for smart commuters. Every year community members challenge each other to a friendly competition known as the Smart Commute Week Challenge. Registration is FREE!
Team registration is closed. But you can still participate by smart commuting to all the FREE breakfasts!
2018 Smart Commute Week Challenge
Start earning points Monday, June 4th through Thursday, June 7th.
- Team Captains Lunch is Wednesday, May 30 from Noon-1pm at the Traverse Area District Library – McGuire Room.
- Registration closes Friday, June 1st at 5pm.
- Team Divisions: Large (50+), Medium (11-49), Small (2-10), Individual (1)
- Team size must remain the same all week (you can’t have 20 people on Monday but 16 on Tuesday).
- You can also get points by parking in a Smart Lot and smart commuting from there.
- Team captains must log daily scores online.
- Team captains must log the final score by noon on Thursday, June 7th.
- Tie breakers will be determined by points totaled from punch cards.
- A team member must be present at awards ceremony to claim prizes.
- Don’t forget: Any form of alternative transportation gets you points…and so does showing up to free breakfasts and events!
2018 Incentives, Awards & Prizes
- Be sure to turn in punch cards for a chance to win awesome prizes from local businesses. Trophies will be awarded to challenge teams with the highest scores at the awards ceremony breakfast held at Oryana on Friday, June 8th.
- Smart Commuters will receive 10% off at Press On Juice.
- As always, smart commuters get 5% off their entire order at Oryana.
- Rare Bird is offering happy hour pricing for all Smart Commuters.
- Mundos Roasting & Co. is offering 5% off beverages to anyone who smart commutes.
- Smart commute to Raduno for 10% off your meal!
- Happy hour pricing at Right Brain Brewery
- $1 off beverages at Higher Grounds Trading Co.
- Show your helmet at Planetary Coffee for $1 off drinks
Share and post your smart commute stories and photos #SmartCommuteTC
2018 Smart Commute Week Breakfast Schedule
All breakfasts are scheduled from 7am-9am and are free to all Smart Commuters. You don’t have to take the challenge to join us for breakfast, you just have to smart commute!
Monday, June 4th — Kick off Breakfast!
⋅ North Peak Brewing Company, 400 W Front St, TC 49684
Friday, June 8th — Awards Ceremony Breakfast!
⋅ Oryana, 260 E Tenth Street, TC 49684
This is the final Smart Commute Week Breakfast with the Smart Commute Challenge awards ceremony.
2018 Smart Commute Week Events
Wednesday, May 30th
Event: Team Captains’ Lunch
Location: Traverse Area District Library, 610 Woodmere Ave, TC 49686 (McGuire Room)
Saturday, June 2nd
Event: Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap
Location: Old Town Parking Garage, 125 E. Eighth St., TC 49686
Sell or buy any fun and funky or plain and practical used bikes at the 8th annual Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap. This much anticipated event kicks off Smart Commute Week every year and is the perfect time to become the new owner of a summer cruiser or upgrade your kids’ bikes!
Sunday, June 3rd
Event: Cherry Capital Cycling Club Annual Spring Picnic
Location: Vasa Pathway, Bartlett Rd Trailhead
There will be group road and mountain bike rides beginning at 9:30 am and picnic at noon. The club will provide a fabulous picnic lunch and vendors are welcome! Let’s celebrate the kick-off of Smart Commute Week and make this a truly exciting cycling event for our community.
All Week – FREE TC Express Rides on Benzie Bus
Monday – Tour the Bus
Tuesday – Free rides on Benzie Bus if you walk or bike to a bus shelter
Wednesday – Passenger Appreciation Day
Thursday – On board karaoke with Grow Benzie’s Josh Stoltz!
Friday – Fare Free Friday on all Benzie Bus routes
Wednesday, June 6th
Event: BATA Try Transit Day: Free BATA Bus Rides In-Town
Location: In-Town BATA Bus routes
Thursday, June 7th
Event: TART Fiesta at Red Mesa Grill
Location: 1544 US 31, TC 49686
Please join us for an evening celebration at Red Mesa Grill in Traverse City. A fundraiser on the patio, fajita bar, margaritas and live music by Jack Pine. Smart Commute along the TART Trail east to get there!
Printable calendar of breakfast locations for the fridge or the office!
2018 Smart Commute Week Sponsors
We could not host Smart Commute Week without our amazing sponsors. They provide us the funds, resources and team work we need to keep this program going. For that, we say THANK YOU!
2018 Smart Commute Week Planning Committee
Brice Bush, TADL
Amanda Woods, Munson
Nicole VanNess, Downtown Development Authority
Ben Miller, Hagerty
Meg Young, Northwestern Michigan College
Eric Lingaur, BATA
Tyler Bevier, BATA
Ashlea Walter, Norte
Stephanie Mathewson, Oryana
Elizabeth Calcutt, Networks Northwest
Jessica Carland, Benzie Bus
Madison Meter, TART Trails
Kate Lewis, TART Trails
Need some inspiration? Check out this little ditty from M’Lynn Hartwell at Freshwater Events….