TART hosts the 14th annual Tour de TART bicycle event on Friday July 25, 2014. More than 600 people of all ages will hit the TART and Leelanau Trails for an evening ride that begins in Traverse City and ends at Marina Park in the Village of Suttons Bay.
NEW START LOCATION! Please note that the ride starts in Parking Lot B at the corner of Cass and Grandview Parkway in Downtown Traverse City. Read complete details below.
Riders enjoy sights and scenic vistas along the trail that you don’t easily see from the road, including the iconic yellow Caboose, the DeYoung Farm, various vineyards and orchards. The Tour de TART also helps people realize just how easy it is to get from Traverse City to Suttons Bay along the trail.
Please scroll down for full event details.
We also need more than 70 volunteers to ensure success of the Tour de TART. Please check out the available opportunities here!
•REGISTRATION and CHECK-IN: We are capping the event at 600 participants this year, so sign up early! The ride includes food stops, dinner, and a bus ride back to Traverse City. All riders must check-in between 4 pm and 6:30 pm under the blue awning in Parking Lot B at the corner of Cass and Grandview Parkway in Downtown Traverse City. Families with young children are encouraged to check-in and begin the ride no later than 5:00 p.m. Helmets are required.
•PARKING: Parking is available on surface lots and in the Hardy Parking Deck. Visit the Downtown TC website for a map of parking locations.
• COURSE: 17 miles of paved trail one way. At the end of the trail in Suttons Bay, follow the signs to get to the marina.
• DURATION: An average time to complete the trip is 2 hours. It could take families with young children longer, depending on how many breaks are taken, so please plan your departure time accordingly.
• REST STOPS: Water, snacks and portalets are provided at Fouch Road (6 miles from the start) and Bingham Road (10 miles from the start). Carrying a water bottle is suggested.
• DINNER: The VI Grill in Suttons Bay is catering the meal, which will be served from 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m at Suttons Bay Marina Park. Local microbrews from Short’s Brewing and wine from Black Star Farms will be available for purchase – bring cash!
• TRANSPORTATION for RIDERS: Riders will be transported back to Traverse City by school bus. Buses leave when full, with the first bus leaving at 6:30 pm, and the last bus leaving at 9:30 pm. Please be ready to board the bus no later than 9:20 pm.
•TRANSPORTATION for BIKES: Be sure to leave your bike in the loading zone near the trucks upon your arrival in Suttons Bay; do not wait until you board the bus. Bikes will be loaded on a truck for the return trip to Traverse City. In TC, bikes are held in a secure area in Parking Lot B. You will need your wrist band, which matches the band on your bike, to reclaim your bike.
• BIKE RENTALS: Available through McLain Cycle, Einstein Cycles and Brick Wheels in TC, and Body Balance and Suttons Bay Bikes in Suttons Bay.
•PRE-EVENT SHUTTLE BUS OPTION: We offer special transportation for Suttons Bay area participants. A bus (and truck for bikes) will leave Suttons Bay Marina promptly at 4:00 p.m. and drop you off at event check-in in Traverse City. Ride the event and return to Suttons Bay Marina. This option is only offered by reservation on the entry form.
RIDE HIGHLIGHTS: Waterfront views, Time to Let Go sculpture, the yellow caboose, farms and fields.