- This event has passed.
Smart Commute Week
June 5 - June 9
Team registration is closed…but you can still smart commute your way to free breakfasts and events and win prizes!
Smart Commute Week is an annual celebration held during the first week of June. The week consists of events that promote cycling, walking, taking the bus and carpooling. Free daily breakfasts are hosted at various locations around town for smart commuters. Every year community members challenge each other to a friendly competition known as the Smart Commute Week Challenge. Registration is FREE!
2017 Smart Commute Week Challenge
Start earning points Monday, June 5th through Thursday, June 8th.
- Team Captains Lunch is Wednesday, May 31st from Noon-1pm at the Traverse Area District Library – McGuire Room.
- Registration closes Friday, June 2nd at 5pm.
- Team Divisions: Large (50+), Medium (11-49), Small (2-10), Individual (1)
- Team size must remain the same all week (you can’t have 20 people on Monday but 16 on Tuesday).
- You can also get points by parking in a Smart Lot and smart commuting from there.
- Team captains must log daily scores online.
- Team captains must log the final score by noon on Thursday, June 8th.
- Tie breakers will be determined by points totaled from punch cards.
- A team member must be present at awards ceremony to claim prizes.
- Don’t forget: Any form of alternative transportation gets you points…and so does showing up to free breakfasts and events!
Incentives, Awards & Prizes
- Be sure to turn in punch cards for a chance to win awesome prizes from local businesses. Trophies made by local artist TJ Carroll will be awarded to challenge teams with the highest scores at the awards ceremony breakfast held at Oryana on Friday, June 9th.
Right Brain Brewery — Happy hour price for all smart commuters.Happy hour pricing includes $4.50 pints of our IPA’s and Signature beers.Right Brain mug club members get mug fills for $3.75.
- Yen Yoga is offering $10 drop-in classes to all Smart Commuters.
- Stop by Morsels for a special Smart Commute morsel.
- Planetary Coffee is offering some pretty sweet deals for Smart Commuters. They are giving away a free 12oz coffee with the purchase of a breakfast pastry item (sweet & savory scones prepared fresh by pastry chef Stephanie Wittala of Sugar2Salt) or a bowl of cereal (featuring classic breakfast cereals with the option of adding a shot of cold brew, soooo delicious!)
- As always, smart commuters get 5% off their entire order at Oryana.
- If you’re bike/walking/running/blading to work, stop by Breakaway Cafe and Coffee Bar this week for 10% off your order through Friday. Happy trails!
Share and post your smart commute stories and photos #SmartCommuteTC
2017 Smart Commute Week Breakfast Schedule
All breakfasts are scheduled from 7am-9am and are free to all Smart Commuters. You don’t have to take the challenge to join us for breakfast, you just have to smart commute!
Monday, June 5th — Kick off Breakfast!
⋅ North Peak Brewing Company, 400 W Front St, TC 49684
Friday, June 9th — Awards Ceremony Breakfast!
⋅ Oryana, 260 E Tenth Street, TC 49684
This is the final Smart Commute Week Breakfast with the Smart Commute Challenge awards ceremony.
2017 Smart Commute Week Events
Wednesday, May 31st
Event: Team Captains’ Lunch
Location: Traverse Area District Library, 610 Woodmere Ave, TC 49686 (McGuire Room)
Saturday, June 3rd
Event: Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap
Location: Old Town Parking Garage, 125 E. Eighth St., TC 49686
Sell or buy any fun and funky or plain and practical used bikes at the 7th annual Recycle-A-Bicycle Bike Swap. This much anticipated event kicks off Smart Commute Week every year and is the perfect time to become the new owner of a summer cruiser or upgrade your kids’ bikes!
Sunday, June 4th
Event: Cherry Capital Cycling Club Annual Spring Picnic
Location: Vasa Pathway, Bartlett Rd Trailhead
There will be group road and mountain bike rides beginning at 9:30 am and picnic at noon. The club will provide a fabulous picnic lunch and vendors are welcome! Let’s celebrate the kick-off of Smart Commute Week and make this a truly exciting cycling event for our community.
Wednesday, June 7th
Event: BATA Try Transit Day: Free BATA Bus Rides In-Town
Location: In-Town BATA Bus routes
Wednesday, June 7th
Event: Bike to School Day with Norte!
A ride to Grand Traverse Academy, East Middle School and Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton near Three Mile and Hammond Roads is HAPPENING. Plans for reconstruction of Three Mile, between S. Airport and Hammond, are coming and needed. This ride demonstrates the need.
Riders will stay together as a group, in an easy, fun, on the pavement ride. For safety, GT Sheriff’s vehicles will accompany riders leading at the front and rear. This ride is meant to highlight the need for a separate path along Three Mile. This ride is meant to be a pro-active message for plans to accommodate all users in the upcoming design.
Gather at 6:50, rolling at 7am. Riders meet on the Three Mile Trail at Business Park Dr, on the east side of Three Mile. We will ride on the Three Mile Trail, up to S. Airport. At that point we will meet up with GT Sheriff officers, cross and be escorted up Three Mile Road dropping at GTA, EMS and SEAS.
Wednesday, June 7th
Event: Curbside Chat with Chuck Marohn, President of Strong Towns
Location: Bijou Theatre
Chuck Marohn will visit Traverse City to host a public Curbside Chat and present a congratulatory plaque to the City for winning the 2017 Strongest Town Contest. The Curbside Chat is a presentation followed by a community-specific discussion about the financial health of our places.
• Why are our cities and towns so short of resources despite decades of robust growth?
• Why do we struggle at the local level just to maintain our basic infrastructure?
• What do we do now that the economy has changed so dramatically?
The answers lie in the way we have developed; the financial productivity of our places. This stunning presentation is a game-changer for communities looking to grow more resilient and obtain true prosperity during changing times.
Thursday, June 8th
Event: TART Fiesta at Red Mesa Grill
Location: 1544 US 31, TC 49686
Please join us for an evening celebration at Red Mesa Grill in Traverse City. A fundraiser on the patio, fajita bar, margaritas and live music. Smart Commute along the TART Trail east to get there!
2017 Smart Commute Week Sponsors
We could not host Smart Commute Week without our amazing sponsors. They provide us the funds, resources and team work we need to keep this program going. For that, we say THANK YOU!
2017 Smart Commute Week Planning Committee
Mary Moran, TADL
Amanda Woods, Munson
Nicole VanNess, Downtown Development Authority
Ben Miller, Hagerty
Meg Young, Northwestern Michigan College
Eric Lingaur, BATA
Tyler Bevier, BATA
Ashlea Walter, Traverse City State Bank & Norte!
Kent Wood, TC Chamber
Stephanie Mathewson, Oryana
Elizabeth Calcutt, Networks Northwest
Kate Lewis, TART Trails
Need some inspiration? Check out this little ditty from M’Lynn Hartwell at Freshwater Events….